Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Tragic Obsession

OK. I admit it. I'm completely addicted to the JK Rowling books.

It all started because the crazy uber-Christians were freaking out about these books driving America's youth to Satan (somebody's got to teach them some manners). I had to see what it was all about. Ever since then... well, the wizarding world has consumed me.

At first I would reread the books until the next book came out. I would tell myself that they were "good bedtime books" that didn't involve a lot of thought. Then I discovered fan fiction. Yes, I admit it's horrible, but I can't help it!

It's an illness I think. I really don't have an addictive personality. I don't like gambling. I think it could be a procrastination tool. Maybe going back to school later in life--and going straight through to get my MBA is the reason I read this crap compulsively. Hmmm... I don't know, I think I'd play computer games instead of homework too. I think I'll stick with blaming the crazy uber-Christians.

Note: crazy uber-Christians is not meant to insult anyone with relatively normal religious beliefs--you crazy nutso people know who you are.

Oh, and by the way--I got an Outstanding on my WOMBAT (Wizard's Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Test).

6 Comments:

Blogger Miss Keeks said...

ML: I'm definitely NOT addicted to cleaning--but sometimes I wish I was! I also read all of a number of other authors, but I think one reason the HP stuff is so addictive to so many is because it's a serial. We're all waiting to see what is happening.

Is Snape good or evil? That really is the question!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Oh dear. Miss Litzi, it's my turn to do the Gasbag review this week and I made fun of V.C. Andrews fans.

Please don't take it personally.

As for you, Keeks, better Jk Rowling than heroin. ;-)

7:04 AM  
Blogger Miss Keeks said...

ML: Oh, I used to read the VC Andrews books. I read the Flowers in the Attic series, My Sweet Audrina and that Heaven series. Then I couldn't do it anymore. I blame my family. They all read Danielle Steele too.

ATM: You're always sooo right!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Miss Litzi:

VC Andrews died in 1986 after 8 bestsellers. Her estate hired a ghost writer to write under her name for the last 20 years and they're still cranking them out. LOL

As for Danielle Steele, you're right---she has like 4 interchangeable plots in her. She's a female Dean Koontz!

3:50 PM  
Blogger carmachu said...

I'm with you on that non-addicted to cleaning and wish I(and teh mrs) were......especially with a 3 year old whirlwind....

But as to J.K. Rowling.....ugh, sorry, I'm not a crazy uber-christian, but I just dont think they're that good myself. The mrs loves'em though....

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we read & discuss the Potter books all the time around here- no guilt! If I find someone I like, I read everything I can get my hands on. part of my like for Harry is that my kids have grown up with him, and we talk about it- even my dad is big into them.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home