Friday, April 07, 2006

Cats and Needles, Needles and Cats

I have two cats. This does not indicate that I'm a crazy cat lady. I admit that I drink some herbal tea, but that should not be an indication of pathetic, lonely lady syndrome or anything horrible like that. Ok, I knit too. This is getting worse every minute. Look, I would have a dog too if I had the time. I used to have rats. Rats aren't crazy cat lady pets, right?

Anyway, this is my horrifying tale of woe. My oldest cat was recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of kidney failure. Now, this is pretty sad--not only because he's my cat--but he is the nicest cat around. He's really friendly and a total spaz. I've known cat haters who became cat lovers because of this cat. He's the bomb, he really is.

So, Oscar (that is his name) now has to get a subcutaneous fluid push twice a week. I get to experience that joy (I'm not complaining--the father gets to do the litter box--sucker). It's pretty gross, jabbing a needle into the cat. But that's not the horrible part of this story.

A few months ago--I think it was before Christmas--I was giving Oscar his injection. After the injection, I was attempting to remove the needle from the IV line and I stabbed myself in the finger. After it was in the cat. I stabbed myself so hard that I still shudder at the memory.

My finger is still a bit numb, but I know the nerve damage will heal eventually (it was just a needle... nerve damage??), but I can't help but worry about the new habits I've acquired... the incessant licking, the hair balls and the overwhelming need to sleep for 23 hours a day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Attila the Mom said...

...spraying on the wife's shoes.

LOL!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Miss Keeks said...

I try to leave him gifts in his shoes--half-eaten birds and moles. He's really grateful.

What's really weird is that it takes me about five minutes to work up a good barf.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you started scratching in the litter box or eating an inordinate amount of tuna? Do you wait for people to stroke you on the head and say "nice kitty"? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you MIGHT have a problem! Those hair balls will get you every time....

5:23 PM  
Blogger Miss Keeks said...

I don't freak out when opening a can a tuna. But I have drained the tuna juice over my cereal. It's much better that way.

I think I should go on permanent disability or something.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Keeks,
How is Oscar doing? Are his kidney's operating any better with the injections you're giving him?
If you keep sprinkling tuna juice on your cereal, you may wind up on permanent disability, whether you want to be or not. But, on the bright side, you'll be around to take care of Oscar. This is probably more crucial than serving cookies and coffee at work, isn't it?

8:50 PM  
Blogger Miss Keeks said...

Oscar is doing really well. He really doesn't care for the injection, but he sits through it--ok, he wiggles through it. The vet says his kidneys are doing pretty well, but he did tell me this is probably the last year we'll be having his teeth cleaned.

I would prefer to spend my time to caring for Oscar (and Moshi--although she's pretty healthy) all day. In fact, I thing I should get a government stipend to do this. It would be much better than serving coffee and cookies at work.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Keeks,

I’m glad to hear Oscar is doing well. I had a cat that developed diabetes and required daily insulin shots; she too wiggled and squirmed when the needle was imminent. I’d say “this hurts me worse than you” but I don’t think my cat ever understood this fact. If Oscar eats dry cat food, this should help eliminate some of the tartar build-up on his teeth, which is the main purpose for the yearly cleaning. You can overlook the “tuna breath” that may become more noticeable as time goes on.

With all the Federal grants available, maybe you could find someway to qualify for one and be a “stay-at-home-Mom” for Oscar and Moshi. How about “The Psychological Impact of Daily Injections on a Cat’s Psyche”? Or, “Latch Key Cats”? Considering some of the absurd studies the Government donates money towards, this might get you the stipend you so rightly deserve.

I’m glad there’s nice people like you who are devoted to their cats and consider them “family”.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Dear Miss Keeks,

I just wandered over from Mom's place and was pleasantly surprised to see that you are blogging! Well done--

Please don't be offended when I say that you sound somewhat like our beloved Attila.

I, of course, make a lot of jokes about cats, but NEVER real ones, and especially sick ones. I always feel bad for our dumb friends because they do not know what is ailing them.

But they do, quite luckily for us, show us their love when we, their humans, help them.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Miss Keeks said...

AP: I'm not offended at all, Admiral P. And if Attilla and I sound alike, it's because we were both given away to strangers. But we're not really bitter.

Oscar is doing really well. Although, to be perfectly honest, he isn't the brightest of cats. But he is disgustingly sweet and we think he's the best (except when he's laying near our heads farting). Happily, both of our cats are really affectionate. So, no matter what Attila says about cats eating their owner's rotting corpses, I'll keep them. Hey, I'll be dead--why would I care!

MIss Litzi: Oscar is on a special diet of canned food. Of course, he hates it. But I give him these special tooth cleaning treats. I also have a toothbrush and special cat toothpaste, but that's not a very big hit with them.

I think you're correct about the government grants. I also think I should get a cat tax credit.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home